Thursday, August 1, 2013

Back to School... Classroom Visuals Galore!

It is hard to believe that school will be starting in just a few weeks! This year I am starting a new adventure and will be teaching grades k-5. I am very excited and can't wait to meet all the amazing artist at Bradley - who knows, one of them could be the next Van Gogh, Monet or even Picasso!!!

I've had a very busy summer writing lesson plans and creating visuals for my classroom. I know what you're thinking - busy summer? But you're a teacher and teachers have the summer off. Yes, you are correct, I do "have summers off", but this does not mean I am lucky enough to sit around all summer long (well, ok - sometimes I sit around) but, I promise you that no teacher has ever said " I am all caught up on lesson plans and will sit around all summer".

Our school mascot is a pirate and I could not resist on making a pirates treasure chest. I'm sure you're asking, why do you need a pirates treasure chest in your art room? Great question. Well, it holds all the goodies that my students will earn for good behavior (positive reinforcement)!!! Who wouldn't love to get a treasure from this one off a kind treasure chest..... Here is my before and after picture of my completed project.

I can see myself having a pirate addiction in the near future and may need some kind of intervention. I couldn't resist  turning myself into a pirate. I decided to paint a life size painting of me (pirate style) to hang next to my classroom door, right before you enter the room... I hope my students will love it as mush as I enjoyed painting it. I am thinking about greeting them with an ARRGGGHHH as they enter the class on their first day, but they may think I am a kooky art teacher :)


 This week I also added some Curtains to my class - to cover some of the storage shelves. There are 6 shelves above the art sink (with no doors) so I made curtains "rainbow color" style... Before and after!

Stay tuned for more artsy creativity.... 

2 comments: